I was in class with my friend who is a roleplayer, and thus it occurs to me to ask him if he played the most awesome table-top game in existence. A game that has driven men and women, of all ages alike, crazy.
The game of DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.
He replied to my question with a simple "Nay." . However, he did tell of my interest to a girl in our school,
who DID play that particular epic game, and who then invited me and Jonah, who was also intrigued of this matter, to a game.
Oh, how thrilled I was! A game with both dungeons AND dragons within it's domain! How exiting it felt!
So one peaceful afternoon me and my friend went to meet the girl (who's name was so elusive it has by now made it's way out of my mind) at Jonathan's school. So, we met and made haste to reach the location of the gathering.
It was earlier mentioned, however, that only girls will be playing, so I did not know what to expect. A game filled with gore and violence? Or a game of traveling from place to place with no particularly interesting action transpiring. And then, there was mentioned a Dungeon Master, who was description remained all but vague. I, in my foolishness, imagined a grand jolly, bearded man with a voice suited best for endeavors such as these.
As we arrived at the house, it looked like a place I sometimes imagine creatures and characters from H.P Lovecraft's creation to dwell. Ghastly, GHOULISH even, the house looked. Oh woe and dismay! Where has my curiosity lead me and my companion! I felt the breath of Lord Death breathe upon me as I stood in front of the big wooden house in the alley that was "gilded" with dead and dying trees. It was a shamefully grim weather and it made the scene look much more disturbing to my mind to comprehend.
As the girl rang the doorbell, we heard but a few fast footsteps coming down an apparently long staircase, and swiftly began to unlock the heavy wooden door on rusty hinges. I was then greeted briefly by a familiar face. I believe I went to school with her at some point...
So we began the journey up the narrow and long staircase as the scent of mold and dust made way into my nostrils. A white door was on the very beginning of the small area above the staircase, and through that door we were told to enter, guided by both the girls friendly smiles. Although I could not shake the feeling of something being amiss...
As I entered the warm it came to my notice that there was a strong smell of pancakes and tea.
My ears sensed a subtle hint of music coming from a guitar in a girl's hand and the throats of all the female counterparts in the room, singing in choir.
And then I saw the Dungeon Master. Or MISTRESS, to be accurate. She was a big woman knitting in a rocking chair, with thick glasses and a warm smile on her face. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, In fact, I felt quite uncomfortable. I was given the order to be quiet and take a seat.
"WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?", I asked myself in my thoughts. I could not even play! Oh the horror!
I took a look at my comrade and he was already in his protective poker-face mode. A face void of any emotion looked at me, but I could not help but notice the ever so slight hint of despair in his face.
"Oh woe is me," I thought as the game went on for a few minutes. It lacked anything that could hook me to it! The story was decent, but lacked any action!
BUT! I was rescued by an unexpected party. An old friend of mine entered the room and as he saw me his face morphed from either recognition or fear or disgust...but whatever it was, he saved me from the horror that was that particular game. It completely slipped my mind that Jonathan's soul was still in grave danger. We talked for some time, he introduced me to most likely the most interesting person I have met, the son of the Dungeon Mistress, and I also got acquainted with that particular individuals girlfriend.
I spent about an hour or two downstairs with the two fellows, and we had a few laughs. But, after a while, guild began to eat me alive as I realized that I had left my dear friend all alone up there in the company of girls and in the presence of that mind-numbing game.
I hastily made my way to the scene of mental MURDER and snatched the poor man from his seat, while he was still poker-facing. The females were having apparent fun, tho. Didn't even notice we taking our hasty leave.
After that mishap, Jonathan made me swear, that we would never enter that building again, and I did concur....
However, today I broke that promise as I was invited to tea by the friend of mine who saved me from the hungry woman-pack.
As I walked towards the house I had so hastily left before, I could not help but notice the weather...it was the same as that day...
I walked the muddy alleyways of that part of town, and it somehow....felt different. Not ghoulish and ghastly, but it had a sort of charismatic and even ROMANTIC feeling, and that is a lot coming from me.
So as I entered the house once again, the friend I had made unexpectedly last time came to open the door. He led us to his room and there we spent about half an hour, the four of us: Me, my two friends and the girlfriend of the more awesome one...no offence to the less awesome one.
So we literally stared at a pot of tea for that entire period of time...then drank some.
And, as suspected, expected and hoped, a session of D n' D.
My character became this: A rogue by the name of Solomon: a nobleman from a wealthy family and ravishingly good looks, however not so much wisdom. Good at stealing and trickery, yes, but also a drunk, for in the beginning of our adventure he lost most of his fortune, which he partially made up by stealing and looting pillaged caves and such. Everywhere he goes he looks for whiskey. But, since my skills in lying are great in the real world, too, he lies like no other man has ever lied before him!
After an hour or so of playing, my comrades decided I was to see a movie called "Snatch.".
It was about the mafia life and it's dealings and it was HILARIOUS. The beginning was boring, however the ending was priceless.
And after I finished the movie, I noticed the house slowly filling up with people, so I decided to take my leave once more, this time with unease, as I wished I could have stayed longer.
God bless thee, my friends, god bless...
The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment